Sunday, April 13, 2014

Yoshimaru Ramen, The Big Shot & Lower East Side Tacqueria

Bit of a ramen craving this weekend so found my way to the other side of the city where expats play - holland village. 

Yoshimaru Ramen Bar serves up Hakata style ramen. IE - a rich and creamy (yes, that's right CREAMY), pork-bone broth with straight-ish chewy noodles. I don't believe I've actually ever had broth this thick before while eating ramen - it was almost as thick as gravy. J & I were properly stuffed after. She had the black sesame broth and I had the peanut paste & chili oil broth. YUM. 

We made our way to back to the city, first to Funan to hunt for a new lens, then walked the busy streets of Little India to look for a quiet coffee place to pass the sweltering afternoon. There was an article that came out a few weeks back about Jalan Besar being the new jaunt for hipsters coffee enthusiasts so wanted to see what place we could find. 

The Big Shot was the cafe we ended up in. Ordinary interiors with a standard selection of cakes - the place wasn't trying too hard, hence wasn't crawling with people looking to get in on a new "it" place. In other words, it was perfect. The Greek frappe  (espresso shot mixed with with brown sugar then poured into cold milk) I had was yums so I was happy to find afternoon refuge here.

Lower East Side Taqueria was where I jumped to next - for a weekly sisterly catchup. A relatively new tex-mex joint in Katong where R & I wanted to check out a few weeks back. The waiter who was serving us was a little in over his head so that was rather amusing but it was a lovely evening none-the-less. No frills, tasty food for a decent price. I finally got my hands on some horchata - which I've been craving since I first tried it in Chicago years ago. 

Ending my Sunday with a bit of a powerwalk around the neighborhood. To clear the mind and gear up for a busy two weeks. 















No comments:

Post a Comment