Thursday, August 27, 2009

Freedom


After doing so much traveling in packs (groups? schools? armies? quiver?) and not having had the chance to travel alone in a really long time, I was a little nervous about traveling by myself, especially for such a long trip with numerous little trips inbetween.

I have a tendancy to just kinda space out when I travel in a big group (think: flock of sheep.. going where I'm told to go). Whether because it's routine, or because I'm just too excited at the opportunity of non-responsibility is something I'll need to figure out myself. But yes.. nonetheless.. tad bit of nervousness.

But be it the excitement of travel, or already thinking about what was waiting for me at each destination I visited, there was definitley this delicious feeling of freedom I felt while I lined up to check in my luggage which proceeded to bubble over when I got through immigration and all of the official stuff.

It is exciting being anonymous and being unattached to the responsibilities I was leaving behind for a while. It is a fabulous feeling to meander as you please and to just be with yourself. That 8 hour layover? Loved it. Walk, browse through stores, buy coffee, a snack, sit, stand, read a book, write an email. Whatever.

Is that a selfish thought? Perhaps not. While exploring new places is an obvious joy, I'm glad I was able to take it a step further and find new found pleasure in traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment