Thursday, September 3, 2009

Subway Soliloquies

As dirty and annoying as the New York subway can get, I'll have to admit that it is both convenient and always an interesting experience.

I love how public transportation in New York is a perfect balance between commuting and walking (perfect for burning away all the yummy food available here!), and that you can pretty much get anywhere in the city on the subway. When I think about it actually, my commute from my house to work takes the same time as my commute from Brooklyn to the city, but Manila commuting seems so much more.. taxing. Perhaps the humidity, dusty air and constant transfer from MRT to jeep to bus is a big part of this. But wouldn't it be great if you could make your way from Makati to Marikina without ever having to leave the underground labyrinth that is the New York subway system. Manila MRT/LRT unfortunately is only limited to stops along the major traffic arteries of the city; Taft, Aurora and Edsa.

I also love the mix of people you always see riding the subway. Young mothers in tracksuits pushing a stroller in one hand and toting a gaggle of kids on the other, corporate yuppies sleek and coiffed, angsty emo tweens in the funkiest street wear. You also have your wandering musicians, sleeping homeless, sprinkle of crazies and thousands of other people in all shapes, colors and sizes.

What I also love about the New York subway is that each station carries such a unique personality. From the way the station name is tiled on the wall, to the artwork you find in many of the station stops. Definitely keeps my mind preoccupied while waiting for my train.

But what I love the MOST about public transportation that runs underneath bustling metropolis is emerging from the hot suffocating subway below into the airy world above. Yes, ala Persephone emerging from Hades' underworld, welcoming spring! An extra bonus is if you are exiting a station you've never come out of before. Sometimes you emerge into a boulevard lined with trees, or an avenue with towering with steel skyscrapers. Sometimes you pop up into nothing but blue skies above.

No comments:

Post a Comment