Saturday, September 5, 2009

Movie in My Mind

I know this is kind of cheesy and very Hollywood but I can't help but feel warm and fuzzy inside every time I hear/see a saxaphone player lazily blues-ing away in the distance while walking around a cool city. Yes, you heard me, COOL city.. the air needs to be cool. Sax players and humidity don't seem to lock in my head. But feel free to prove me wrong. The closest thing I can think of that comes close (well.. it's not really close) to this experience are the blind musicians who sing along with the plucking of their electric guitars, in their sunglasses, usually sitting under an umbrella in rain or shine with passerbyers hurrying by. Ya ok... so it's not really the same kind of experience but I personally find it to be a lovely experience nonetheless. Though totally not the point of this entry!

Back to saxophone players in cool cities.. I think the first time I remember hearing was in Paris back in 2001. Since then, I've had the lovely pleasure of serendipitously coming by them in New York, Chicago and Boston.

I always feel like I'm part of some moving picture every time I hear it, part of a small movie with my own personal soundtrack. I guess the slinky sound of the saxophone, the brisk air and the beautiful surroundings combine to really tickle my senses and create an almost surreal experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment