Monday, November 2, 2009

Art for Art's Sake

While more people may know more about my love affair with the theater and the stage, or the classical voice or piano lessons I took growing up, not that many people know about my affinity for visual arts. I think I've been painting, coloring, and visually creating longer than I've been involved in the performing arts actually!

I've been fortunate enough to have taken my share of art classes, both in school and as an extracurricular activity. Oil pastels, oil paints, water color, chalk & charcoal, pen & ink, working with plaster of paris, clay, lithography.. I don't think there was one medium I didn't like. The process of creating something in your mind then translating that into something tangible has always been, well, euphoric almost.
I used to have a growing stack of oil paintings back when I lived abroad. My biggest fan was (and still is) my mom, who wasted no opportunity in displaying my work all over the home. Lol. Unfortunately, I lost all of these pieces when the warehouse that was keeping our furniture while we were house hunting burned down.

Now a day, I'm an on and off dabbler. Sometimes I go a pretty long time without doing anything creative with my hands but I always find myself going back to it for a day, or week or two. I'll churn out half, or maybe even 2 pieces and then hibernate again for months, possibly years. Painting for me is therapeutic and very personal, which is probably the reason why many people don't know I do it. I do it mostly for myself and as a way for me to unwind and relax. My mind is so focused on whatever it is I am working on and so in the moment, that it's actually pretty much blank. Lol. I've seen the talent out there and am no where near calling myself an artist. I really just enjoy the creative process.

I think one of the best decisions I ever made in high school was dropping Economics (thank you for the C+ Mr. Jones, you know I love you regardless!) and taking up Art instead. Hehehe. It was at this time where I think I finally developed a style that kind of, well.. stuck. We had to come up with a theme and create a whole portfolio based off of this theme. I forgot what mine was verbatim but it was something like finding the human body in nature, or nature in the human body. Since then, I have also since confirmed that I still suck at free hand drawing but love love love nature and colors and patterns and textures. I think from the look of some of my work, I think it's rather obvious isn't it? Could be the earthy Taurus in me I suppose. Lol.

Uploaded are some of my favorite and/or recent pieces. Sharing for posterity's sake :)

8 comments:

  1. @EW: Thanks! As a beholder of beauty (?!), your comment is much much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are most lovely! I'm glad you've rekindled that flame in you for creating such works. Happy for yah! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bon: Thanks dear. Can't wait to see your own doodles too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Pi. These are truly lovely. Thank you for sharing these precious works with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. pia, these are lovely! i love the one with the waves. i remember the painting you created for lei-lei and the ones that were in your apartment before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks deeps. or according to my dad.. fallen eagles daw. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww, pia! these are beautiful. i find them so expressive. thank you for sharing them here. and please keep nurturing this gift of yours. your paintings heal you in the process of creation; they equally heal those who view your paintings (heal the woooorld...). hugs. i'm so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete