Monday, June 21, 2010

Book Look


As Hermana #2 is typically the book buyer in the family, many of the books I've read over the past years usually come from her shelf.

Now Hermana #2's book are very special - there is a special way in which they are covered (in plastic with scotch tape NOT touching the book), special way in which they are branded (date and name in front, price and where it was purchased at the back - in a purple pen nonetheless) and a special way they are arranged on her bookshelf (you take one out, or move it around, she'll know).

Naturally - when I purchase books, I want them to be special too. So Hermana #2 very nicely covers them for me, and I too mark them in my own special way.

Recently though - I borrowed a book to read from Hermana #3. Now Hermana #2 would FREAK if her books looked anything like that of Hermana #3s. No special cover save that of an extremely creased book spine, no special branding save that of corners upon corners of folded pages.

Worn and torn.. and yet.. still special.

There was something very liberating about reading a book I could simply ENJOY. It was relaxing paging through a book I could put down for two second by leaving it open face down on a table without fear of Hermana #2 yelling bloody murder from upstairs (I swear.. I think she posses her books sometimes). No metaphysical unease knowing I could toss the book into my bag and not have to worry about rubber-banding it together for fear it being mauled and torn apart by the chaos that is my bag.

So this blog entry is in no way a means to thumb my nose at Hermana #2's ways.. goodness knows she would have had a really violent reaction to reading a book like that of Hermana #3's. Different strokes for different folks right?

In a world and life where there has been a need for me to be organized to the point of OC-ness to get my sh*t done efficiently and effectively, I sometimes forget about the inner chaos that comes so naturally to me.

This being said, I actually don't know if I could still leave my books in the state of "specialness" Hermana #3 does. But it surely has reminded me not have such a rigid stick up my bum every time one of my books is used. Hmm.. or maybe I should just convince Hermana #3 to buy more books instead :)

What do your books look like?

6 comments:

  1. Okay admittedly the eat, pray, love one is a little bit more worn out that i wanted it to be. Cuz it uhm, fell in the pool at one point HAHA.

    But uhm, i don't know whether i should say thank you or take offense haha

    - hermana #3

    ReplyDelete
  2. popsy and mom are voracious bookworms like i am, but i can't help but freak out when my mom eagle-spreads the book she's reading when she puts it down lolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. @EW: you look like you'd have a slight touch of OCD :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. eagle-spreads the book? Hmmm.... Must... not... say something... dirty. LOL!

    My books are pretty good-looking. Pages are rarely creased. Though I have a penchant for dog-earing when I want to go back to prose that I adore. Many have a film of dust on them. They remain uncovered, hidden, un-read. Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. apir, hermana #3!
    pi, havent you read the velveteen rabbit? the old, tattered possessions are the most well-loved ones.

    anyway, if you havent, here's The Meryl reading it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4swEK7_P0&feature=related
    enjoy!
    mags

    ReplyDelete