Sunday, May 20, 2012

Home Additions

While still trying to keep the clutter at a minimum, made a few more additions to the home: some of my photos up on the wall, and 2 new chairs.

One chair I added to my kitchen table so I am not at the mercy of the floor / coffee table or a stool when I want to get some proper work done.

With the other chair, I created a new little space in my studio - a reading nook! It's in between the fridge, washing machine and bathroom so admittedly, it is in a strange place, but I personally don't mind.  I wanted to make the most of the natural light and thus, wanted to create a space around the largest window in my room. It tends to get a little dark by the other window deeper in my room; I wind up using artificial light when it starts to get dark which I feel is rather silly if the other end of my room is still bright! Oh, and it finally gave me an excuse to buy the chair I was obsessed about years ago!

These were "impulse" purchases. Impulse in the sense that I made a last minute decision to run to IKEA at 9pm one evening to buy and lug these home, "impulse" in the sense that I really have been sitting on this idea for quite some time now.

A lot of people wait until they own their home before making an effort to make it.. homey. To be fair, I was, and in some regard, still am of the same mind frame. Why make an effort to invest in a place that isn't yours? At the same time though - who knows what the future holds for any of us? I still have no idea where I want to make a permanent home for myself, or if I even want to ever own my own home. I know it's rather cliche but all we can be certain of IS today right? So while I'm making the most of my present, I may as well make the most of where I'm living too.

On another note, I just signed for another year in my little home. My my my - how fast a year can fly by!





5 comments:

  1. Boo. I never did get to spend time in that nook. That chair of yours reminds me of the chairs from school! Nicer of course :)

    Amen to gradually making a space yours :) I truly loved Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked back on your previous blog posts and your flat is seriously nicer than the pictures of the other ones you saw! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!??! Of course, you need to be comfortable while you're there. You made the right choice to make your current home more homey for you. Congratulations!

    On another note, it's evident that you and Deepa do not share the same frame of mind =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm. im glad we have ikea distributors back here. i just realized i bought three lamps already, the last one i just bought because it liiked like a piece stand! now, actually fixing my room is a different story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you would thoroughly enjoy spending a few hours in an ikea store! you're a home furnishings dork like moi ;)

      Delete