Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chomping Through Cebu

It's a well known fact that Cebu is one of many great foodie havens in the Philippines. Had the chance to go taste so for myself recently and it surely did not disappoint. Affordable and delicious- you really can't beat that combination :)

Cebu Lechon
I would've been a food to have gone to Cebu and not try their lechon. It is the quintessential must-try when you go. I would've wanted to try other "brands" but didn't feel it was fair to all the other great restaurants out there (or to my cholesterol level!). The meat was tender, full of flavor and yes, best enjoyed WITHOUT Mang Tomas! Lol. After "the best pig ever", I don't know how I'll ever go back to "regular" lechon.

Puso (hanging rice)
Was excited to try this but wasn't too thrilled with what I had. I'm thinking it tastes different when it's super fresh and hot (if it's ever served hot?!). It was a little hard and cold for my taste. But I totally love the presentation and it did go quite well with the lechon.

Chicharon Bulaklak
Generally not a fan of this pulutan. I find it too greasy and sometimes too gamey. But this one was REALLY delicious. Not gamey at all. And even though it was definitely crispy, it didn't feel greasy. I don't think that means though that it has less cholesterol. Lol.

Chicken Inato
Skewered bbq chicken. Another classic dish. White meat was tender and juicy and skin was tangy sweet and crispy. Yum yum yum.

Monggo Soup
Another personal favorite of mine, both from this trip and in general. This particular dish was thick and full of shrimp, veggies and all sorts of another yummy bits. It tasted a little different from how it traditionally tastes. My girlfriends and I assume that it was mixed with gata. I'd fly back just for this soup. Drool.

Turon with Latik
Classic turon (with the bananas & lankga) and drizzled with latik. Ingenious combination. I wanted to ask for a side of latik so I could dip my turon into it instead!

Yema Brownie ala Mode
This was actually the dessert my friend ordered. I took a bite and fell in love. I think I would've preferred a chocolate drizzle on top though! Good stuff I tell you!

Baby Back Ribs
Classic ribs for a steal! Tangy tangy tangy with meat that falls off the bone. Perfect with mash potatoes and what I like to call freezer veggies. We ordered one full slab to share between 3 girls. It was so freaking good (and so damn cheap) that we ordered another one :)

Shublig with Jambalaya
Not the best execution but was I satisfied anyway. I love sausages (EW! Behave!), and it went really well with what was marketed as jambalaya, but what tasted like java rice instead. Lol.

" "
Lol, ya sorry, forgot what the name was but it's basically chorizo that they opened up and fried. Easy stuff to do by yourself if you have the right kind of chorizo. Can you imagine what this tastes like as a "-silog" dish?! Eep! Yum!

Fried Leche Flan with (not pictured) Caramel Sauce
I love leche flan! The leche flan was not too eggy nor too creamy & sweet. While I prefer the latter, this particular timpla was PERFECT for this treat. Think turon wrapper stuffed with firm smooth leche flan with a dark thick caramel.

Tuna Kilawin / Kinilaw
Another personal favorite! This particular dish I ate kicked it up several notches for me as they prepared it with gata.. which I've never had before. I could eat this all day. The BEST i've tasted to date.

Baked Scallops
Trays and trays of this kept whizzing by me so I had to try some. Love love scallops but this is the first time I've had it straight of the shell prepared just like baked tahong. The butter topping they baked it with was to die for- it was sweet and buttery with a hint of garlic. Another top ranker on my list.

Adobo Hash (Adobo-silog)
Nothing out of this world but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I would've preferred my "hash" a little crispier, perhaps bordering close to adobo flakes. But it still hit the spot. You really gotta love Filipino breakfasts :)




12 comments:

  1. whaaaaaaa me again?!!!

    p.s. i'd go native longganisa over schublig anytime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @EW: insert rolling eyes emoticon. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg pia!!!! i regret spending just one day in cebu. you got to try so much more yummies than i did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @deeps: come to manila via cebu each time. magpa-layover ka for a few times. Run out and get some foodie each trip home :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. pia! The fried leche flan! I am still hating you guys you didnt save some for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @mira: it looks better than it actually tasted ;)

    who am i kidding.. it tasted pretty good. hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHA! you ate at chikaan (guessing by the monggo soup and the turon with latik). good choice. i love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @jeline: Yes is did! I freaking loved the monggo soup - i wonder if we can replicate the taste at home. Hmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate you PIA!!! Why does everything look soooooooo GOOD! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ram : matakaw lang tayo friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi! May I know where you got the Fried leche flan? been dying to try it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bunny! Can't help you unfortunately. That's the only dish featured in this blog that I ate at a catered party in Cebu! Good luck with hunt and if you find it, please let me know too ;-)

      Delete