Monday, April 12, 2010

what the: Web Surfing Etiquette


With a lot of my friends, it has become a common occurrence to start pulling out the laptops and iphones at one point during a get together and kind of disappear into your own world. We kid around about it too.. welcoming members into the "anti-social" club once they have purchased a new wifi-enabled toy. I do it myself sometimes too - I'll bring out my laptop, maybe quickly check facebook on my phone, etc. It's one of many things people check when we go to a new restaurant or cafe - good food? check! good prices? check! free wifi? CHECK!

Recently, it's been bugging me though, bugging me more than usual. There's something I find very off and almost rude about being in the company of others outside, sitting around a table, and then retreating to your technology. It's like, why bother coming then? Unless of course it's one of those get-togethers where the sole purpose IS to just kind of do your own thing - me and my friends do that a lot too actually.

At the very least, quickly check if you need to and then get back to what's going on at present? Or excuse yourself and tell the people you're with "Hi guys, hope you don't mind, will be anti-social for a bit" or "need to work on something", etc. I suppose it depends on context as well (how many you are, where you are, what you're doing, the people you're with, etc), but it's something I'm going to personally refrain from doing as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment