Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fishing Lesson

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

Had the opportunity to this twice this month- one was a writing gig for a foundation that works with public schools to promote and build a love for reading in children, and another was for my own organization which I originally wrote about here. 

What I love about these events is that even if I'm part of the support team and not a participant, I am always inspired. I find myself learning a little bit more about myself and the world and its realities.


The writing gig was awesome as I've never given much though to pre-school education before; had no idea that there was so much science and philosophy behind it! It was also really great seeing the public school teachers acknowledged and seeing their excited about learning something that they wanted to apply in their classrooms immediately.


The work I do with my organization has been a challenge recently. It's always a bit of chore getting a project off the ground, and it can get some what cumbersome if you have a day job to worry. But that always changes the minute the schools come together and you see them happily mingling, while getting some great renovation work done at the school.

My dream at one point was to work for a big developmental-type organization, but while that hasn't happened yet, I'll keep myself busy with these types of projects in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment