Saturday, October 9, 2010

Email Etiquette

One big part of being a design manager is liaising with clients - so I spend a lot of time fielding calls and emails. Sometimes I find myself staring at my screen for hours (ok.. exag.. maybe an hour at most) writing emails.

The most challenging ones are those where you have to relay a negative message, but still packaged professionally, and in a way that doesn't piss off your client (too much). It's not just about stringing words together, or punching out a email - its about crafting messages targeted at certain personalities that effectively communicate your objectives.

My boss is EXCELLENT at composing these types of emails. In fact, she's so good at it, that her emails sound like the clients are hearing what they think they want to be hearing - even though in reality, it's what my boss wants them to hear. Lol. Then again, I do work in an industry where communications is supposed to be our expertise, so I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from my boss.

Point of my post? I guess to share my amazement (amusement?) that something as seemingly simple as email writing is actually a potent communication tool.

2 comments:

  1. tell me about it. i have to do a lot of emailing, that consist of many multi-million peso details so i have to triple check before i send anything. i could be quoted also so i have to be extra careful. sometimes it's because of all these details that i procrastinate emailing. it's too much of a chore:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yaaaa dude!! sometimes after i check my email several times.. i close my eyes while i press send button. lol

    ReplyDelete