Saturday, December 4, 2010

Lessons from (lack of) Sleep

Another overwhelming stressful week has prompted me to look at what's not working in my life and a basic necessity that I've had a very complicated relationship with for a long long time: sleep 

Here are some of the lessons culled from experience: 
  1. Your body wants what it wants - I got home from work past midnight a few days ago. With still a number of things to do, I decided to take a nap to combat my drowsiness - as who can think straight while drowsy right? Past experience has taught me that when I nap given this tired mental and physical state - I never end up getting up. Because I'm stubborn, I've tried different tactics to succeed in this area. That particular evening I tried sleeping on the floor, in hopes that I would be uncomfortable enough to wake up when my (several) alarm(s) go(es) off.  Pretty sad when I think about it in retrospect but totally necessary in my mind at the time. Did I succeed? Not at all. Here's a run down of all my other "wake-up-from-napping" tactics: 
    • Setting my alarm clock. FAIL. It's difficult to wake up as it is when I intentionally got to sleep for the night.
    • Having someone physically wake me or try calling me on my mobile. FAIL. I don't even remember the attempt of the wake up.
    • Putting my alarm clock very far away from me so I'll get up. SEMI FAIL. This selectively works.. I think it depends on how tired I am. 
    • Setting several alarm clock clocks spaced apart at 15 intervals. FAIL. HA!
    • Setting my alarm clock and having the lights fully on so as not to fall into a deep sleep. FAIL. Double ha!
    • Drinking coffee and/or soda before sleeping thinking it'll allow me a light sleep. See all above explanations.
  2. No such thing as sleep compensation - 4 sleep one day, 2 hours another day, 3 hours the next day.. then when I get the opportunity to, I'll sleep in as much as I can when I can to compensate for little to no sleep the days before. This unfortunately only leads to more stress as I end up staying up late the next day compensating for work I could've done while I was asleep. So I'm tired all over again. It's a vicious cycle I tell you!
  3. Running on no sleep? Think again - I am not Wonder Woman.. well rather, I am no longer 16 years old anymore. My mind may still think like a teenager in this regard, but my body is quick to slap me back into reality with a day of irritability, tiredness and sometimes, delirium.
  4. Your body remembers - 5 years after college I ran a business with two friends where I was sleep deprived as well. The year after that was a lot more relaxed due to the freelance work I was doing so I regularly got 8 hours of sleep. Now that I'm back in a high-stress environment, I can't seem to find my way to running on little to no-sleep. It's like my body FINALLY got to experience life with enough hours of sleep and has since then, been refusing to have it any other way! Either that, or my age is starting to show. Hehe.
Because of so many years of unhealthy living, I made a choice last year that I would start living a healthier (and thus happier) life. Recently I haven't been keeping any of my promises. I lack sleep, I don't exercise, I hardly have time to myself to just sit and spend how I please. And I've been paying the price: I'm gaining weight, I'm tired all the time, I'm irritable, and unfocused.. all of which feed mental demons I've been fighting for a long time. 

While my current situation makes it near impossible to get 8-hours of sleep, I would like to think I can start making changes in the way I spend my waking hours and the number of commitments I have on my plate to hopefully clock in a steady and constant number hours of sleep and exercise daily. No more saying yes to anything and everything. If it makes any sense, I must learn to be more selfish, in order to be more selfless. 






9 comments:

  1. i always kept wondering why my buddies who are working in a corporate setting were so takaw tulog.

    now, i can fully relate. rest days are particularly sacred for me. almost nothing can make me go out of the house during my offs.

    not even bookings.

    aw. tmi.

    hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. @EW: when you first said booking i thought you were referring to music-related bookings!! nghk. hahahaha.

    but diba? i never feel it's a weekend unless I get a full day of sleep & bumming at home. Recently I haven't been able to do this, which I think may be adding to my general lack of liveliness. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i started to write a response here, then it grew and grew and became a blog post unto itself, lol.

    http://helloise.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/a-response-to-p/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are such friends, pkf. tried EVERYTHING you put on your list. but mum went as far as sprinkling water on my face to get me up for something important. i like my sleep, so shoot me:)

    but i realized a change of perspective does the job. like once i change mindsets that im excited to go to work, my body anticipates that i have to get up. i even wake before the alarm goes off!

    but ya, off days are sacred. it's supposed to be when i get to do personal stuff (like finally paint my room) but all these months, guess what? 3 words: rolling. around. house. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can never ever ever pull full all-nighters. i just love sleep too much. getting 2-4 hours of sleep is like a once-a-year event for me. even back in college. i remember a pre-2001 tour old swiss inn dinner where the, shall we say, gripping conversation lasted until dawn. everyone stayed up talking until 6am except for guess who??? i was glad to stay awake long enough to hear EW utter the immortal line, "kung ikakasa ninyo, ikasa n'yo na. bang!" LOL!

    but yeah i love sleep. the fact that i get as much as i want (most of the time anyway) is one of the things i love the most about working as a full-time freelancer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @helloise: ooohhh ok, I'll reeaaad!

    @jonelski: here's another one I tried the other night: sleeping with my head on a table. in fairness, gumana siya. I managed to clock in 1 hour of sleep that night! and i know what you mean rin about the change of perception.. instead of a whole day of bumming, getting at least a whole morning of sleep makes me happy enough now. and HEY! rolling around the house is the best!

    @deepa: now the thought of freelancing again has become very tempting! lol. but no.. not an option for me right now. maybe some time in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deepa: what the??? i said that?!

    (what was the context?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. EW, yes you did! At humalakhak ang buong lamesa kasi... um... di naman masyadong pa-mhin noh? (In fairness yung "Bang!" joke time na yon. Pero yung unang sentence seryoso. Hahaha.) We were talking about how to handle the situation with J.A.P. before the tour.

    ReplyDelete