Wednesday, June 15, 2011

House Hunt

One of many things that consumed my mind when I moved, was finding a permanent place to live. I ideally had a month to find my new home. In reality, "house" hunting began 2 weeks after my relocation - firstly because I was too cheap to take on an agent to do the hunting for me, and secondly because work consumed my every waking (and yes - sleeping) moment. 

I had a lot of parameters going into the hunt; and as I saw and learned more about Singapore property and Singapore living, my considerations changed... considerably. 

How much was I REALLY willing to spend? Should I live with roomies, flatmates or by myself? How far away is too far? Why is rent so friggin' expensive? I'm going to save myself money and just rent a room! How near is too near? Seriously... why is it so expensive to get a place on your own?! HDB or private condo? Hells- I need to be comfortable! Maybe I should get an agent already? Will this place do? Yup, never ending stream of declarations, questions, NOISE took up the whatever brain space was not being occupied by work.

So in that time I had and opportunity to view a bunch of places, from "just beyond my budget" to "hellz no!",  to everything in between. Many I considered but there were always 1 or 2 things about each place that didn't sit well with me, and ultimately kept me from wanting to seal the deal. 


A week prior to moving out of my hotel - I was set on rooming with a friend of a friend of a friend.. and her friend. Pressured to find a place? Maybe. But the last place we found was real nice! Super close to work, fully furnished, in a modern apartment and all for a pretty good price! Never mind that it was smack in the middle of Singapore's red light district. Besides, the agent who posted one of the places Mom had scouted for me, that looked promising... wasn't reverting! 

Two days before moving out of the hotel - said agent above reverted. Mom urged me to see it.. "you never know...". I saw it the next morning and an hour after seeing it, I sealed the deal. 


Yes.. you read that right... my unit name is: Flamingo. And no, the name had nothing to do with my decision to sign the lease for this place! More like a happy bonus. lol. 

Clocking in 6 weeks in Singapore, 1 week at "home"- finally finding a place of my own has been a huge anchor to the general mess of activity and emotion that's been whirling about in my life for the last few weeks. Totally looking forward to making this house into a home. 


 

4 comments:

  1. and take note, the key tab is fuschia.

    the fuschia flamingo.

    ang bakla lang! lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new place Pi! Can't wait to see pics :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Our house-hunting experience in Sg was pretty similar... saw some total duds before finding the right place. I'm guessing you ended up in a condo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @EW: hahah diba? it's a sign for sure - i aint' a faghag for nothing!

    @mai: thanks thanks :)

    @deeps: thanks deeps, nope - not a condo! living on my own won out at the end. unfortunately, that meant, no condo living.. in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete