Sunday, July 3, 2011

Choosing Essentials & Other Money Related Ramblings

I'm on self-declared frugality for the next few months. This move, plus other financial commitments have totally kicked my butt from now till the end of the year.

Only the essentials from now till end of the year.


essential purchase #1: camera (SQUEEAAAAAAA!!!!)

I've been wanting my own camera for a long long LOOOOONGGGGGG LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG time now. So yes, this is considered essential. I was a good girl and opted for the very basic kit and held off of any other camera-related purchases. First reason was a tip I had gotten from a good friend about testing it out first and seeing what kind of photographer I'd like to be (thanks Deeps!). Second reason was well... see very first paragraph of this blog entry. There are a couple of trips I'm taking this year; some of these places I've already been too, while other places I'm going for the first time. Regardless, it'll be great to capture them with a new "eye".

essential purchase #2: eyeliner

I've been an eyeliner girl since time and memorial immemorial, a liquid liner girl at that. My face took a hiatus from any sort of primping over the last few years, but now that I'm in a new place... well, hopefully sowing good habits? (Yes. Make up = good habit, lol). Finishing up my stock of liquid liner (after a few months you toss it diba?) & moving to gel liner. I've heard from a friend it's wonderful so I looking forward to testing it out. This particular brand is for sure of a different caliber than my trusty everbilena liquid liner, but hey, my eyes can afford some luxury every now and then ya? 

essential purchase #3: glittery shoes

I have a number of friends who would deny me being their friend for saying this but: I LOVE CROCS! They're cute & comfy - especially if you're ehm.. big boned and giant footed. But seriously, these are essential for again, the trips I'm taking this year, where I expect to do a whole lotta walking! They had the same variety but in red but I opted out. I'd hate to accidentally tap my heels together while traveling and find myself home! 


And last, but for sure, not least... essential purchase #4: giant paper clips


Everyone needs giant paper clips to sort out their files - duh.

I've been eating food that doesn't need my own cooking because the 2 pans I did buy don't work on the freaking hot plate, and have been drinking my hot beverages out of a bowl. Why these aren't on the list essential purchases is beyond me - but if you haven't noticed already, I do have a skewed sense of what is essential.

Through this exercise, I've observed that 3 of the 4 "essentials" are items I've had my eye (eyes?!) on for quite some time. If I'm (1) googling it, and (2) still thinking about it months down the line, I've realized that it's something I must buy - lest I go crazy. I've known myself to visit shoes at a department store over and over again until they finally disappear and I become very sad. Hopefully I don't graduate to the likes of luxury bags or else I'll really be done for!

But seriously, on the original intent to blog about penny pinching - I've had a good look at my finances recently, and will seriously and consciously be watching my spending. I go through cycles where I diligently track and budget my finances to modes where I really couldn't care less. The discipline of learning to live within your means has been a battle I've been fighting for a while now; I'd like to think I'm getting better at it with age. So the next few months shouldn't be too difficult right?

4 comments:

  1. Ooooooh!!!! Congrats on the new camera!!! Another tip for you: check out Objectifs.com.sg, it's where I took my photography lessons. It's right in your neighborhood on Arab Street. They have a reasonably priced intensive class (2-3 days instead of being spread out over several weeks) that is great for learning the basics and going beyond the Auto function on your wonderful new camera. Enjoy!

    And I've also been thinking of switching from liquid to gel liner. What's the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ay hanuvahyun.

    tea bag in a bowl.

    remind me to gift you this x-mas with a (recycled gift) mug!

    lolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. @EW: pshh.. it's on purpose! like the french :P ill accept a mug, only if it's one of your mom's ting a ling sets ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eyeliner that comes in a pot? Interessting. Hey. I was supposed to get you crocs for your birthday? I think its cheaper in Sing anyway.

    I'm excited to meet Dee!

    A mug is probably one of the cheaper things you can get in a department store - please get one!

    Love your picture of the paper clips :)

    ReplyDelete