Monday, November 21, 2011

Itchy (Career) Feet

My ready and recent declaration to anyone who asked, was that I was sticking to this career path until I was sure I wanted to do something else.

Why you ask?

Well...

  1. It's a good company; I enjoy the people and the environment
  2. I like the work ENOUGH; it's challenging and I can see how I could grow in my field 
  3. Admittedly, I feel I need to build knowledge and skills in an industry
I've spent enough time faffing about in a business which I know I want nothing to do with anymore. This industry that I'm in... has potential. The current focus of this particular company? Definitely not something for me in the long run (famous last words?), but yes, perhaps something in the industry. 

Maybe it's my upbringing, a mix of personality and school environment growing up. Heck, it could also be seasonal. But, I've been having one of those "out-of-body-I-want-world-peace" moments when I ask myself "what am I doing with my life /career to make this world a better place?". 

Yes yes, very Ms. Universe of me - but seriously, it's a question thats always simmering at the back of my mind. For sure the "right" answer hits me at different scales of grandness. One day I'm content thinking that being the best "sister/daughter/friend/"insert current career role" " is enough. Other days I feel it's not - that I need to be extending myself beyond my current circles of influence and making a bigger dent in this world. 

Given my current career climb plus the practical need to finally earn decently and fulfill financial obligations I've personally committed too - what the heck do I do with myself now?!

I know I know, I JUST got here. But life's too short right? For all I know, I'll stay put where I am. But hey, just thought I'd throw it out there.

In the meantime, sharing a photo taken downtown 2 weeks ago. The area was flooded with kids in blue and yellow handing out flower for "World Kindness Day". It was lovely seeing these flowers eagerly being passed out. Almost as lovely as seeing smiley happy people walking around with these yellow blooms sticking out from their bags, hands.. or even behind the ears.

Odd that sometimes the most obvious of things need to be commemorated. But hey, who am I kidding. I am all about celebrating the simplest of joys. 





2 comments:

  1. i also have an itch that needs to scratched.

    wait.

    that didn't sound right, did it?

    lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. @EW: lol, getting a comment from you is always exciting - i never know which way it's going to swing in tone.

    and yes.. having an itch that needs to be scratch DOESNT sound right ;)

    ReplyDelete