Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Work Space


I closed my eyes and took a leap of faith when I went from freelance to full time employment.

I'm hoping my timing isn't premature but I really have to share that so far, everything's coming up roses.

I have a long list of things that thrill me about what's keeping me busy now a day. One serendipitous thrill is having my very own desk!

I know it seems like a funny thing to be happy about, and I never would have thought I'd derive some sort of joy from it.. but I have. I was cleaning out the files of the employee who worked at my desk before me, and after hour of sorting, was left with an empty space, a blank canvas beckoning me to come and spruce it up.

In my first job - I shared a huge conference table with my business partner. Sometimes with 2 of my business partners when one would fly on a business trip and work in the city for a few days. We each had a file box to keep all of our personal files and belongings. And while I kept that up for 5 years straight, in retrospect, it felt very impersonal and temporary.

With the next project I took on, I technically had my own desk. I say technically because while it may have been assigned to me, I always felt as if I was squatting on someone else's property. I'd come in after a few days and all this office mess stuff had crawled its way onto my table. My drawers had become secret hiding places of old files no one knew what to do with and even the space under my desk has become "temporary" storage for documents being used in ongoing projects. It too felt like an interim workspace.

The work I took on after didn't even afford me a desk. The nature of my work had me in meetings the whole day with clients or sporadically working in a small corner of the office cordoned off for us. Amusingly enough, our special section changed as months progressed - we would be surprised to find random employees in our cubicles one day, then on another day to find it completely furniture free. Currently, the space is being used as storage and our area has been trimmed down to a desk that I share with two other consultants.

In between all of that, I did a number of freelance project which thanks to Stalone, my laptop, had me working remotely anywhere and everywhere- dining room, in bed, in a cafe, in a canteen.

I'm loving that I have the ability to work remotely, but I think the Taurean in me is thrilled that I have a permanent workspace I can make my own and call home.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations dear! Drop by the office when you're free. Christine Sarmiento is now with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ramram! We must catch up soon... as I hear that there are some developments from your end as well?!

    Christine Sarmiento.. like the the one I worked with when I was there? Geez, if whats his face hired me, you guys would've completed the set ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol..forget about him...I've chikka when we have brunch or dinner with Marky. Miss you Pia!

    BTW, that guy lost his job after moving to e_n haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! cige. we must to plan a get together soonest! i'll make kulit marky

    ReplyDelete