Monday, January 25, 2010

This Old House

I was looking to drop by the office of one of my suppliers when I chanced upon this random old building. It was the only building of its kind on the main street.. well, the only building left I assume.

I've never been a fan of classic Philippine architectural designs. It's only been recently that I've been able to appreciate it's beauty. No idea why; perhaps because I've always felt there was a general lack of warmth in such houses? And because I immediately associate such design elements with the earthly elements of Filipino folklore. All it has taken me to see beyond its possible creepiness is a few light and air infusing windows and big furniture pieces with overstuffed cushions. Lol.
But yes, back to this house. It was a rather sorry site, and personally, what I believe is a microcosm of how conservation of Philippine heritage is in the Philippines. Not enough people care enough maybe? Or perhaps maybe because in a 3rd world country, other necessities are more of a priority? What bugs me even more is that when they tear stuff like this down, they put up real corniness in it's place. It's rather irritating.

Anyway, behind all of it's wear and tear, you can almost see small glimpses of what this place must have looked like back during it's heyday. What a beaut huh? I especially love the trimming of the roof awning, the design under the awning, the modern red brick and stain glass on the ground floor, and the classic window treatment up on the second floor.

5 comments:

  1. au contraire, i find old houses ery warm - filled with the sense of having been lived in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tell you, it's in the decorating. and well, perhaps the people who reside there too. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhmmm... there are great books that showcase the variety of aesthetic and personalities of those who reside in such houses. I guess it boils down to one's sense of taste to find it all appealing. Defensive nwoh?! Hyuk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there any particular book you are referring?! ;) or books rather. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be scared of old houses as a kid. But when I hit my 20s I started to really like them. One of my favorite things to do when we drive to the province (Laguna, Cavite, Batangas etc) is look around and try to spot old houses with interesting details.

    ReplyDelete