Sunday, April 29, 2012

Turning 30

Run down of how the first day of my 30th (eep!) year....

After after-work drinks and chatter at a nearby pub, had late night-Japanese with G+A, who graciously treated me to dinner, sake and a surprise cake and song when midnight hit. I thought they shut down the lights to kick us out until the resto staff came out with a song and candle lit tiramisu! 



The next morning, I paid for all my monthly bills online, cleaned up my flat, spoke with M, and read the barrage of greetings on FB, email and SMS. Yay for technology!


True to form, it was only after having done everything else that I started packing for my trip - 3 hours before I had to be at the airport.  It was only then that I realized I had left my swimsuit in Manila. Not wanting to do a Filipino classic of T-shirt-and-shorts-on-the-beach, I packed EVEN faster so I could run to the nearest mall to buy myself some swim gear & brunch. The non-English speaking man who sold me my brunch (Japanse lumpia?!) threw in an extra dumpling. Yay for the bday freebie even though I'm pretty sure he didn't know it was my bday!


Ran back home, picked up my stuff, hopped back into a cab and made my way to the airport where I met up with J. Having checked in hours before, we printed our boarding passes and went through immigration by flashing a QR code, scanning passports and thumbprints on machines.Yay for living in a first world country! Yay for the 21st century!

We grabbed some coffee (and chocolate!) before boarding our flight and slept through the 1.40 hour flight to Phuket, Thailand. 


Fastforward through long cues at immigration, hour-long drive to the city, we had an early dinner at a nearby resto, checked into our hotel, and spent the evening watching a surprise video put together by my sisters (<3) and RuPaul's Drag Race. 







My 29th year was amazing - I remember finally getting a moment to myself at the airport enroute to Seoul, where I quickly posted a note to kick off the year. I was very much aware of the things that were just about to unfold in my life. This year, I have no idea what's in store for me - but I'm pretty sure it's going to be equally brilliant. Can't wait!







No comments:

Post a Comment