Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band




Some of the best movies I've seen I watched growing up. I don't know why that is- maybe the simple appreciation of seeing wondrous things through the eyes of a child? Maybe movie's really WERE better back in the day? Or well.. here's my favorite.. because anything retro triggers with it a deluge of warm and fuzzy feelings and memories?


I blogged first about watching an old favorite here. I recently decided to watch on youtube "The One and Only, Genuine, Original, Family Band" - another personal oldie but goodie.


The movie apparently didn't do so well, but I love it regardless. I think it maybe the first movie I watched with choreographed song & dance numbers. Plus for the longest time, I was very much into stories of the American Midwest that took place in the late 19th century, thanks to things like Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House" books (love love love this - should purchase these books and read them again!) and "Oregon Trail", an old Macintosh computer game we used to play in school.


I must have been 8 the last time I saw this movie- that's a helluva long time ago! Yet I found myself singing along with ALL the songs as I watched it on youtube! I think i was smiling throughout the entire thing.


Here's one of my favorite scenes- looks like dancing show downs in movies have been around for some time! Love the song & dance number (calling JONELSKI), and the costumes of the girls with their petticoats, long undies and slim boots (for a lack of anything better to call them, lol). Plus John Davidson's so dashing with his dimples. I don't think you see Kurt Russel in this clip, but look for Goldie Hawn - she plays a giggly dancing girl with a pretty major dance role towards the end of the dance off.


The movie also stars Walter Brennan who plays a grandpa both in this movie and in another old favorite, The Gnome-Mobile with the two kids from Mary Poppins; Disney seems to love recycling their tried and tested stars. Lol.


I haven't watched too many old movies come to think of it. But I love the very few I've seen. Maybe I ought to spend some time catching up on classics. Any suggestions?

(photo credits: http://www.ultimatedisney.com & http://moviegoods.com)

5 comments:

  1. heeeey, i didnt know there was such a movie!:)

    herbie rides again was a favorite in the house before. or bad news bears:) or the original little rascals. or three stooges. or i love lucy!:)

    haaa, dont get me started. i guess this is one of the reasons we're friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol truly! watch the scene watch the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that among other things :) i'm waiting for your comment on the lemon vs. chocolate post. lol.

    i should to check out some of those movies/shows you mentioned above :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oregon trail! Ate, you have a MAC! Please find these games so we can play! Where in the world is Carmen San Diego as one of them.

    The little house series is on my list! :P It's just that its hard to collect bec they have modern covers and I want them in their original state. You know how OC I am :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Maix: Where in the World isn't a mac game gagee! Remember how we used to photocopy books @_@... Hee. This was one series I had a "copy" of.

    ReplyDelete