Monday, March 1, 2010

Time Management


photo credit: http://heuristixx.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/math-problem-solving-and-mind-mapping/

I was with a colleague a few weeks back and I saw him scribbling on a piece of paper what looked like a very organized brainstorm. I learned later that he was fixing his schedule for the week, using a technique called mind mapping. My colleague is a very well put together guy and I couldn't image how he could run his life out of something that looked so deceivingly disorganized.


If you look at the photo above, you can see my schedule looks NOTHING like a mind map- I obviously organize my time very differently. I've always had a serious curiosity for learning new ways to up my time management and improve work efficiency so every so often I'll research and read up on time management techniques and tips. Over the years, I've put together this jumbled way of what I feel works best for me and my personality. I am still far from perfecting the skill and finding THE perfect mix and match for me.

So maybe I'll give this mind mapping a try and see how I can incorporate it into my current system. I do like the creative aspect of it!

How do you guys organize your time? Do share some tips if you have any :)

5 comments:

  1. hmmm. i just realized that as producer i've graduated from managing my own time to managing other people's time as well. i still don't know how i do it hahaha.

    i'm old school - i rely on a planner and a to-do list in a small pocket size notebook for myself.

    for projects, i work backwards from the delivery date and set milestones. since i run multiple projects at a time, i like to sit down with a monthly calendar printed out from entourage and plot all the milestones out on paper to see if i have enough time between milestones.

    one tip that i read which is useful if you have to go through a lot of emails for work, is to batch all your emails i.e. read and reply them in batches. instead of reading and replying one at a time as they come, set a time like say 11-12 or 4-5pm to plow through all your email.

    so you get to work on stuff that is your priority rather than other people's requests. you can also let people know that you're working on xyz and will only be checking emails at that time. anyway, they will call you if it's urgent enough.

    i used to do this but the volume of emails i received has dropped lately, so i don't find it necessary anymore. marlon still does it from time to time when he's working on something urgent.

    ok ang haba ng comment ko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go lang ng go!

    I do the same (plotting backwards). I've considered entourage (and other time management programs) but never got around to fully exploring. Have you tried the iCal calendar? Love it- like all things MAC, it's pretty :)

    I worked with a group that had us do Gantt charts. Wow that drove me nuts. Have to plot and update was time consuming in itself. Though apparently it works for a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gantt chart ba yung may little colored boxes? I have a colleague who did his production schedule on one. Ayun dahil by week ang ginawa niya, it takes him forever to get feedback from the client . They're not mentally prepared to give him feedback by a certain date because they never see the dates. I admit it's easier to make for a project stretching out over months. Pero konting effort na lang, may dates ka na e.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE iCal. and im glad it syncs with my phone. so i get double updates even if i work on my laptop because my phone buzzes and a reminder pops-up on my screen!

    I also make a list of things to do at the start of the day, and i have it beside me with a marker and a pen. if i remember something i have to do, i jot it down, and when i accomplish something, i highlight it with a marker to get it out of the way. at the end of the day, lots of highlights on my pad means that my day didn't go to waste:)

    ah, the quest for the best time management tool. the more we look for it, actually, the more time we waste:) but as they say, a minute spent organizing is a minute saved in the future. (or something like that)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha i totally get you! i only look for ways to improve when i have a bit of down time.

    i have this awful habit of practicing new time management skills..and the minute i get busy / stressed, i kind of just fall back to whatever is comfortable. so much for moving forward. lol.

    i do to-do lists also - i love to-do lists! i try to incorporate it in my non-work life as well - ie: personal errands, personal growth, etc.

    ReplyDelete